Irene LathamIrene's 6-word resolution was:
Celebrate. Create. Inspire. Plot. Enjoy. Finish.
From reading Irene's blog, I see she has much to celebrate this year. Her first children's novel, Leaving Gee's Bend, has just been released by G.P.Putnam. Hurray for you, Irene!
And a big thank you to everyone who posted a resolution. I hope we ALL succeed in following through on them.
Our next contest will be especially for Teachers and Homeschoolers. (If you're not a teacher or homeschooler, please spread the word to someone you know who is.) We'd like you to answer the following question: What is one of the biggest challenges, problems, or questions you have when teaching writing to students in grades 1-12?
If we can, we'd like to suggest solutions to some of those problems on this blog later in the year.
The contest will run in conjunction with a new series of posts on the topic of IDEAS, the first of the Six Traits of Writing. (If you aren't familiar with the Six-Traits approach, you can read more about it here.) As part of our discussion of IDEAS, each TeachingAuthor will talk about the idea that inspired one of her published books. Our contest winner will then be given his or her choice of one of those six books as a prize. (See the addendum below for a list of the six books.)
So here are the contest details:
- To enter, you must be a teacher or homeschooler of students in grades 1-12.
- You must post a comment answering the following question: What is one of the biggest challenges, problems, or questions you have when teaching writing to your students?
- You must specify the grade level of your students and whether you teach in a school or at home.
- You must provide your email address or a link to your own blog so that we can contact you. (U.S. residents only, please.)
- Entries must be posted by 11 p.m. (Central Standard Time)
Friday, January 29, 2010Saturday, January 30, 2010.
- The winner will be announced on Monday, February 1, 2010.
If you have any questions about the contest, you can post them as a comment. Good luck!
Addendum (1/22/10): our contest winner will receive her or his choice of one of the following TeachingAuthor books:
- Mind Games by Jeanne Marie Grunwell Ford
- The Confe$$ions and $ecret$ of Howard J. Fingerhut by Esther Hershenhorn
- Sing-Along Song written by JoAnn Early Macken, illustrated by Leuyen Pham
- A Tree for Emmy written by Mary Ann Rodman, illustrated by Tatjana Mai-Wyss
- Rosa, Sola by Carmela Martino
- Girl Coming in for a Landing by April Halprin Wayland